FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

​​​​​​​Don’t ask questions that already have an answerfaq2.jpg





How can I contact SASSA?

SASSA Service is open all year round (except on public holidays), from Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 1 PM, Monday and Wednesday also from 3 PM to 6 PM. You can contact us by email at


What do I have to do to use the SASSA services?

You have to fill in the online Accommodation Form on ESU website following the below procedure:

1. Register all your data HERE (prepare your ID/Passport in .pdf format). You will also be asked to put a password: remember it, because you will have to use it !

2. You will receive a confirmation of  registration email with your USERNAME (the automatically calculated CODICE FISCALE)

3. Login at "Servizi Online - Sportello Studente" with the USERNAME you received and the password  you chose.

4. Click on "Sassa Accommodation Form" and fill it. Prepare a passport-size picture of you, maximum size 1 MB (this photo will be used for your student card).

5. You will receive an automatic confirmation email. In case of missing data, you will be contacted with a ticket on "Servizi Online - Sportello Studente".

6. Check the Sassa Service pages for any information you may need.

7. The Accommodation form is mandatory even though you do not need a place a ta Hall of residence.


What is the Accommodation Form and what's for?

The Accommodation Form is an online form that all exchange students have to fill in to request a  place at ESU Residences and/or to get help in finding a room in Padova. The Accommodation form is compulsory for all the exchange students coming to Padova, as it is needed to complete the enrolment procedures, and it is compulsory also for the students who do not need a place. In case you arrive at Sassa without having filled it, you will need to come back only after having completed the online procedure.


What's the difference between the Accommodation Form and the Learning Agreement or other documents?

The Accommodation Form is the form all Exchange students have to fill online on Students participating in Exchange programs have to fill it even though they do no need accommodation because they already found a private apartment.

Application Form and  Learning Agreement are related to the University of Padua, for them you can contact the Mobility Unit  

When can I fill in the accommodation form online?

You can apply for a place at ESU residences from mid-May, to June 30th if your stay in Padova starts in the fall semester, or if your Erasmus period is for the whole academic year. If your stay in Padova starts on the second semester, you can apply from September16th and the deadline is November 15th. You have to register on ESU website before filling the Sassa accommodation form!

Can I choose which ESU Residence to stay in?

No, but you can indicate your preference in the accommodation form. In any case places are allocated by SASSA according to the indicated arrival and departure dates and according to the residences in which places for exchange students are available. If possible, expressed preferences are taken into consideration.

Can I choose a room in a ESU Residence (single or double)?

No, you can only indicate your preference in the accommodation form. The number of available places, and in particular single rooms, is less than requests. You will know what type of room you have obtained at the moment of allocation (after receiving the accommodation offer).

Why do I have to pay a deposit?

The deposit is required to confirm acceptance of a place, to cover for any damage and as a guarantee of correct behaviour. In a private apartment you are usually asked for two or three months' rent, for ESU Residences it's 350 €.


Can I see the room before I accept the place?

If you search accommodation in the private rented sector when in Padova, you will be able to see the place in before deciding. If you got a place at one of ESU Residences, you will see the room after getting the keys at the reception of the residence. You can find some information on ESU residences on the website

Can I change the room once I've accepted it?

It's not that easy. In the private rented sector, you can only do so after having found another person and according to the agreement taken with the landlord/lady. In ESU Residence it is not possible to change the assigned room.


When can I have access to my room?

In a private apartment from the date agreed with the landlord. At ESU Residence places are available from the date indicated in the accommodation offer.

Who gives us the room keys?

If you have a place in one of the ESU Residences, keys can be collected directly at the reception on arrival. If you have a place in a private apartment keys are given by the landlord/lady or by the students who offer the place.

When can I get the keys?

Only after the signature of the assignation papers at SASSA Service, keys can be collected at the Residence. In case your arrival is after office time or during weekends, you can go to the residence directly, then you will go to SASSA as soon as the office opens. If you are staying in a private apartment you should make arrangements with the landlord.

What happens if I want to give up a place in a ESU Residence?

In case of cancellation of your stay in Padova after having paid the deposit before arrival, the deposit itself will be reimbursed only in serious and attested cases (illness, accidents, etc.) and with written notification at least 15 days before the scheduled arrival. Any cost of bank transfer will be on the student's charge. Otherwise, the deposit will be held by ESU as compensation. If cancellation occurs after arrival in Padova, it has to be communicated by written notification at least 30 days before and one more month rent will be requested, in addition to the loss of the deposit. Only for contracts ending at the end of July, it is possible to reduce them to the end* of February, requesting it not later than November 15th by e-mail to (*the date can vary according to the year)


What do I find in the room?

At ESU residences you will find blankets, bed cover and mattress cover. You need to bring bed sheets, pillow and towels with you; kitchen stuff is not provided in ESU residences. If you are in a private apartment you will need to contact your landlord/lady .

How does internet work in ESU residences?

Internet connection in ESU residences is provided by Fastweb, not by ESU.  Wireless connection is available in all the common areas of the residences and in all rooms. The first time you connect you are requested to register to the provider home page with your mobile number. If you cannot register with your no-Italian Italian mobile number, you will have to contact the house manager.

Who can I address to if I have a problem?

For problems concerning your accommodation,  you can contact the house manager of your residence. For academic problems, you should contact the Mobility Unit of the Projects and Mobility Office of the University of Padua (let us know if you have problems though, as we can always give you some advice).

How is rent paid?

The rent for ESU accommodation is paid through the Online Service MyPay, a certified online payment.

Tutorial for online payment

If you have to pay cash, you can print the QR code from the Online Sportello Studente and use it to pay at a bank or authorized tobacconist.

Tutorial for NOT online payment

At private apartments you are usually asked to pay cash or make a transfer to a bank account it depends on the landlord though.


Where should I go when in Padova?

You should come first to SASSA Service where you'll be given the first needed information. If you already got a place to stay or you don't want to use Sassa services you should come here anyway to get your student card. To come to Sassa you need to book your appointment through 

What languages are spoken at SASSA office?

Italian, English, French and Spanish.

What differences will I find between my country and Padova?

If you have chosen to come to Padova you will have to get used to its good and bad points. There is not a university campus and there are 60,000 students. You're not in England, France, Spain or Germany so try to avoid saying "but in Germany is like this….", "in France we have this…." etc. You will certainly find yourself in a different environment. If you know how to get around any initial problems you will have a great stay. Remember that there's an office here to help you!

What's the best way to get around Padova?

Padova is quite a small town so most students have a bike. You can buy an old bike or lend a bike from one of the services in town:

Mobike - Bike sharing service

Goodbike Padova - Bike sharing service

Otherwise you can use the bus service.

How far are ESU residences from the centre and the University?

Apart from Agripolis located 9 km far from the city centre (School of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine), university departments  are in the centre or just outside the medieval walls, in the north east part of the town. There is no university campus so all accommodation is in town. You shouldn't be more than 20/25 minutes away from university by bike.

How long does it take to find a place in a private apartment?

If you want to find a place in the private rented sector, you can start searching online before arrival, there are many possibilities through different websites or Facebook groups.

If you choose to come to Padova and search a place in town, it will take at least 2-3 working days to find a place in a private house

Can I have my address in Padova before I get there?

If you have been assigned a room in the residences, you will be communicated the name of the residence (and the address) in the accommodation offer.

If you found a room before your arrival you will have to ask to the landlord/landlady or flat-mates.

If you choose to come to Padova and search a place in town, Sassa will help you find a flat and schedule the appointments with landlord/ladies only when in Padova, addresses will be communicated only then.


Which documents should I bring with me?

- An identity document (Identity Card or Passport)  valid for your full period of stay in Italy (non EU students should have either a study visa or a valid European residence permit for stays longer than 3 months);

- European Health Insurance Card or a letter from any private insurance company with policy dates;

- A letter from your university (not the contract) as proof of your Erasmus status;

- No EU students who ask for the permit of stay need to bring 4 identical passport sized photos too.